Delighted to report that as part of the Coastal Park project, access to the George & Mary bench on the Lees has been improved. This bench dates back to 1935, provides unprecedented views and is now accessible to all. There will be more Coastal Park accessibility mini-projects implemented as we approach spring, 2015.
This bench was built to commemorate the silver jubilee of the reign of HM King George V and Queen Mary and was erected on the site of one of a nationwide chain of celebration bonfires. It was presented to Herne Bay Urban District Council by the local boy scouts in May, 1935.